Saturday, January 29, 2011

A smoothie a day...

    My Real Simple Magazine for the month of February came and it was full of great information and ideas.  It featured the 30 foods that you should be using and the thing that got me really excited that they were just basic things-whole foods.  I have been trying to use more whole foods and natural ingredients while cooking.  I have never been one to eat a ton of processed foods, but it is something I have been thinking a lot about lately.  It was nice to see that many of the new things I have been trying to use made Real Simple's list
     The magazine had a spread about smoothies.  I think it was the simple photographs and pretty colors that really stood out on this one.  I decided that each day this week, I would try a new smoothie, drawing inspiration from the magazine.

Day 1
Cashew Banana Smoothie

Ingredients
1 cup ice
1 banana
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup raw cashews

Method
1. Place the cashews in the 1/2 cup of water and place in the refrigerator overnight.
2. Add the banana and ice to the cashews and water and blend until smooth.

The Taste Test
     This was very easy to make.  The results were thick and delicious.  I liked the almost chewy texture the cashews gave to this treat.  It was almost like drinking a milk shake.  The original recipe called for 1 tablespoon of maple syrup.  Since I exhausted my syrup supply on my granola, I skipped this and was happy I did.  There was no need for extra sweetness.  Can't wait for day 2!

Day 2
Strawberry Smoothie
This one I forgot to take a picture of until it was almost all gone...


Ingredients
1/2 cup orange juice
1 cup frozen strawberries
1 tbsp flax seeds
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt

Method
 1. Pace all of the ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth.

The Taste Test
This one was cold!  I don't know what I was expecting and it probably wasn't the best idea to try this one on the coldest day of the year.  However, it was a nice treat given that I have not had strawberries in months since they are not in season.  I don't love orange juice, so in the future I might try this one again with a different kind of juice.  It may also need a bit more juice.  My smoothie was pretty thick.

Day 3
Berry Banana Nut Smoothie



Ingredients
1/2 Cup Almond Milk
3/4 Cup Mixed Frozen Berries
1/2 banana
1 tbsp natural peanut butter

Method
    Blend all ingredients until smooth. 


The Taste Test
   Yum! Yum! Yum!  I definitely like milk as a base much better than orange juice.  This smoothie had a nice creamy consistency and I loved the hint of peanut butter.  This may be my favorite so far.

Day 4
Berry and Oat Smoothie

Ingredients
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 water
1/2 cup frozen berries
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup ice
1 tbsp brown sugar


Method
1. Soak oats in water for 15 minutes.
2. Combine the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth.

The Taste Test
    This tasted like a regular old berry smoothie.  It was refreshing and the oatmeal gave it a thicker texture.  The Real Simple recipe also called for fresh ginger, which I didn't have.  I think that may have added an interesting twist to this classic smoothie.  I'll have to remember to pick some ginger up at the store.  Also looking back at my smoothies from the last few days, I realized that they all look the same.  Maybe I'll aim for something green next... 

Day 5
Grape and Spinach Smoothie

  Ingredients
1 cup red seedless grapes
1 cup baby spinach
1/4 cup light coconut milk
1/2 cup ice

Method 
1. Combine grapes, spinach, coconut milk, and ice in the blender.
2. Blend until smooth.

The Taste Test
    I have to be honest, I did not have high hopes for this smoothie but I was determined to make something green.  When I told someone my plans for this smoothie yesterday, they wrinkled then nose at the idea.  I LOVED IT!  The consistency was more watery than some of the other smoothies I posted previously but it really worked.  I love coconut so the creamy texture it added was very nice.  My dad even stopped over and had a skeptical sip.  He said, "it's not bad," which for anyone who knows my dad means he liked it.  Although when I offered to make him his own smoothie, he passed.  I guess he didn't like it that much!  This smoothie tasted really fresh and I think I have just enough grapes to make another one tomorrow.


    If you have any smoothie ideas you love, feel free to post them in the comment section.  I have really enjoyed experimenting with different ingredients and welcome any suggestions.

4 comments:

  1. i love this, mook!! i am definitely going to try one of these...maybe even the crazy grape & spinach one! i think one day, when you are feeling extra special, you should try a nutella smoothie!!! they are, by far, my favorite smoothies in the whole world! it's basically just nutella, low fat or nonfat frozen yogurt, and skim milk! you can use nutella or any other hazelnut spread and drink in the creamy deliciousness...mmm. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Jess! I made the strawberry smoothie today and I loved it! (the only thing I didn't have in the house was flax seed.) I personally love orange juice in smoothies so it was perfect for me - and I happened to have some fresh oranges on hand so it was even better!

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was the one who wrinkled my nose....I think I still do. Hahaha Glad you enjoyed the green one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ali, you were the nose wrinkler. I'll make this for you one day and I bet you'll like it.
    Heather, thanks for the Nutella idea. I don't have any Nutella but I think I need to add this to my pantry.
    Lele, I'm so happy when people try the things I've made. I saw some of your desserts in our staff room. They all look so good!

    ReplyDelete