Sunday, September 26, 2010

Fall Is Here...Sort Of

We went for a hike at Hubbard Park in Meriden, CT yesterday.  The temperature outside was almost 90 degrees yet there were definite signs of fall all around.

     While the weather outside should be feeling crisp and fall like, it seems that summer is trying to hang on as long as possible.  However, there are definite signs that fall is eventually going to win the struggle.  My lawn is currently sprinkled with yellow leaves that have fallen the trees, the squirrels are busy gathering acorns for their winter stash, and the grocery stores are stocking up on all of the necessities for fall cooking.  A quick trip to Big Y reminded me again that it is not summer anymore.  There were totes of apples, pumpkins, Halloween candy, and a display of locally grown butternut squash.  This year I did not need to purchase squash from the store because my Grandma grew some in her garden this summer and of course graciously gave me three already.  For those of you who don't know my Gram, she is a gardener.  When I was little I thought her house was a farm, without animals.  At the age of 82, she still manages over 100 tomato plants of all varieties, cucumbers, squash, peppers, beans, eggplant, herbs, and much more!  She is very proud of her garden.  Every trip to her house results in a tour of the yard.  She is most proud of the plants that grow in random places, like the crack of a wall.  She excitedly exclaims, "She just grew here all by herself!"
     Last fall I found a recipe in my Cooking Light book for Butternut Squash Soup.  It included Radicchio but I'm still not sure what that is, so I just left it out.  I also made some additions to the soup and so today I'm looking forward to the first batch.  Last year I used an imitation Bullet like apparatus to blend my soup, burning my hands and making a mess (which is not unusual when I'm in the kitchen.)  Last Christmas my parents bought me an immersion blender and Arnauld bought me a food processor.  So this year, I'm excited to try out my new tools.  Right now the squash is baking in the oven.  I'll post a picture of the finished product later on.  But for now, here is the recipe I use.


Butternut Squash Soup
3 lbs Butternut Squash (about 2 medium)
Cooking Spray
5 tsp olive oil, divided
2 large onions finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley (I use dried if I don't have fresh)
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
4 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
1/2 tsp black pepper, divided
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 tbsp Parmesan cheese
I also sometimes throw in some brown sugar or cinnamon to make the soup a little sweeter

1. Preheat over to 375
2. Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds.  Place , cut side down, on foil lined baking sheets sprayed with cooking spray.  Bake for 30 minutes or until tender.  Scoop out pulp and set aside.  Discard skins.
3. Heat 2 tsp olive oil in large pan over medium heat.  Add onions, parsley, and thyme; cook for 15 minutes or until lightly browned; stirring frequently.  Add squash, water, 1 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, and minced garlic, and bring to a boil.  I also add the brown sugar and cinnamon at this point.  Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes.  Place about 2.5 cups into blender, and process until smooth (unless you have an immersion blender).  Repeat until all of your mixture is blended and smooth.  You can top with a little cheese when you serve the soup-I usually don't though.

2 comments:

  1. Yay!! I was just waiting for you to post this recipe ever since you told me about your soup last year. :) I have the BEST tomato bisque recipe that I will surely get to you as soon as I figure out how I want to post these things...Enjoy your New England autumn, Mook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Can't wait to try it. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete