Monday, September 27, 2010

Magazines

   I love my magazines.  I currently subscribe to Better Homes and Gardens, Real Simple, and Cooking Light.  Opening my mailbox and finding the latest issue is like a present.  I try not to read the whole thing in one sitting, so I can save it.  I also love to try the recipes from all three of these magazines.  Sure there are lots of recipes online, but that is SO big.  I like to think the recipes in my magazines are hand selected for me and just waiting for me to give them a whirl.  So last week, all three of my magazines came within days of each other.  I have been trying to space out my reading.  While driving to Meriden for our hiking this weekend, I brought along Cooking Light and dog-eared several recipes that caught my eye.  I was so excited during school today to come home and try this one out...what a nerd!  It's called Fall Vegetable Curry and it has sweet potatoes in it, so of course I knew I'd love it.  I haven't tasted it yet since I'm about to run out to kick boxing, but if nothing else it looks like a beautiful fall day...in a dish!  It smells pretty good too.
Fall Vegetable Curry

1 1/2 tsp olive oil
1 cup diced peeled sweet potato
1 cup small cauliflower florets
1/4 cup thinly sliced yellow onion (just realized I totally read that wrong...I threw in the whole onion!)
2 tsp Madras Curry powder (What is that you may ask?  You may know, but I didn't.  I also didn't have it.  But you can substitute 1 1/2 tsp regular curry powder and 1/2 tsp red pepper.)
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/4 tsp salt
1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 oz) can no-salt added diced tomatoes, undrained (I also threw in fresh tomatoes)
2 tbsp, chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt

1. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add sweet potato to pan, saute 3 minutes.  Decrease heat to med.  Add cauliflower, onion, and curry powder; cook 1 minute; stirring continuously.  Add broth and next 3 ingredients (through tomatoes); bring to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.  Sprinkle with cilantro; serve with yogurt.

This yields 4 servings (1 cup curry and 2 tbsp yogurt)
Calories: 231, Fat: 3.9 g, Protein: 10.4 g, Fiber: 8.6g (Just thought I'd throw that in there since the magazine did!)

It also suggests serving this dish with Cashew Basmati Rice.  If you are interested in that recipe, just let me know.  I didn't have time, or the ingredients.  

2 comments:

  1. I really liked it! I especially liked the yogurt which offset the curry really nicely. You should try it...

    ReplyDelete