Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sundays

    Around this time of year, most people look forward to Sundays because of football.  Not me!  I may have married one of the biggest sports fans alive.  All year he looks forward to the fall because of football-high school, college, the NFL- Arnauld loves is all.   Football season also begins the start of his second career, fantasy football.  He seriously considers it revenue because the last few years he has won in one of the leagues he plays.  So while he is yelling at the tv and keeping a constant eye on his score via espn.com, I take advantage of this time to try new recipes or prepare meals for the week ahead.
     This week at school, parents will have a chance to visit our classroom for Back to School Night.  The last few years I have attempted to break the awkwardness of this initial meeting with cookies.  Instead of listening to me babble on about sight words and writing workshop, parents are planning the quickest route to the giant plate of cookies I have waiting for them.  Last year my mom made delicious chocolate chip cookies for me that I of course claimed that I made myself.  This year, I thought I would make my own-chocolate chip oaties.  I got this recipe from a book called Perfect Chocolate.  They are quick and easy!

Chocolate Chip Oaties Recipe
Makes about 20
Ingredient
 4 oz butter softened plus extra for greasing          
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar              
1 egg                                                                      
1 cup rolled oats                                                   
1 tbs milk       
1 tsp vanilla extract     
1 cup flour
½ tsp baking powder     
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa                  
6 oz semisweet chocolate chips
6 oz milk chocolate chips                                                           

Place the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat together until light and fluffy.  Beat in the egg, then add the oats, milk, and vanilla extract.  Beat together until well blended.  Sift the flour, unsweetened cocoa, and baking powder into the cookie batter and stir.  Stir in the chocolate chips.

Place dessertspoonfuls of the cookie batter on 2 greased cookie sheets and flatten slightly with a fork.  Bake in a preheated oven, 350 F, for 15 minutes or until slightly risen and firm.  Let cool on the cookie sheets for 2 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.  


 




3 comments:

  1. Love it!...I'm excited to steal your recipies =)...first step: blog. second: Jess's bakery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea. Once I am back in the classroom I'll do this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, my husband has the same football problem. What a great plan for coping! Yummy.

    ReplyDelete