Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Split Pea and Sweet Potato Soup

     This morning Wren was very cooperative, so I made a pot of soup to bring to my family for lunch today.  It ended up being a little bland so I recommend adding a little salt and pepper, but otherwise this is a very straightforward and wholesome recipe.

Split Pea and Sweet Potato Soup
Recipe from Whole Foods

Ingredients
8 1/2 cups of water
1 large onion, chopped
2 cups yellow split peas
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced

Method
1. Heat 1/2 cup of water over medium heat.  Once it begins to boil, add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.  Stir in the ginger and cook for another minute.
2. Add 8 cups of water, the peas, and sweet potatoes.
3. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.  Cover and let cook for 1 hour.
4. After an hour, remove the cover and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
5. Use an immersion blender until the soup is smooth.

You can serve this soup with toasted pumpkin seeds.

Some Valentine pictures...just because.







2 comments:

  1. Hi, its Dimpy, Mary's friend. Love your blog! Adorable photos of Wren! Recipe sounds yummy. I will have try it soon. Hayden will probably like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm glad you found my blog! I actually fed this soup to Wren and she liked it. Have you started giving Hayden solids?

    ReplyDelete