Sunday, February 3, 2013

Fish Tacos

     This weekend, we celebrated my Dad's birthday a few days early.  It has been a long time since we had everyone over for a celebration.  First our kitchen was being renovated and then Wren was born.  We have had people over for dessert, but I haven't had the drive to take on a family dinner.  I decided that my Dad's birthday was the perfect comeback event...especially since my Dad spent so much time and energy making us our new and greatly improved kitchen.  Every day I am so grateful for all that he did.  The kitchen is where I spend so much of my time when I'm home.  The new space is a joy to be in because everything fits and has a place.  There is also just so much more room for making a mess!  It's even one of Wren's favorite rooms-I think because she enjoys all of the light the big window lets in. 
     My Dad requested fish tacos for dinner.  So we scrapped our initial idea for some sort of pasta.  I relied on some old favorites for side dishes, including guacamole and a delicious Baja Black Bean Salad.  I tried a new taco recipe that I found online and originated from Gwyneth Paltrow, who fittingly wrote a cook book all about her Dad (I actually have the book!).  The flavors were simple, but delicious.  I think this is my new favorite fish taco recipe!

Fish Tacos


Ingredients
1 bunch cilantro
juice from 5 limes
1/3 cup olive oil, plus 2 Tablespoons for cooking
1 small white onion
2 cloves garlic
1 jalapeno
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp paprika
salt
pepper
2 pounds halibut
1/2 cup white wine

to serve:
soft tortillas
shredded cabbage
*Pico de Gallo
avocado
*crema or sour cream
shredded cheese
limes
cilantro

Method
1. Put the cilantro, lime juice, 1/3 cup olive oil, onion, garlic, jalapeno, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, and salt and pepper in the bowl of a food processor.  Blend until smooth.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add the fish and cook until golden (about 8 minutes).
3. Pour the wine over the fish.  Cook until the wine evaporates (about 2 minutes).
4. Stir the cilantro mixture in with the fish.  Cook until heated through (about 1 minute).
5. Serve with your favorite taco fixings.

Pico de Gallo
Ingredients
6 roma tomatoes, diced
1/2 red onion, minced
3 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1/2 lime, juiced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 pinch of garlic powder
1 pinch of cimin
salt and pepper to taste


Method
1. Stir all of the ingredients together in a medium bowl.  Refrigerate for a few hours before serving.

Lime Crema
From Gwyneth Paltrow's book, My Father's Daughter.
Ingredients
1/2 cup mayonnaise (Gwyneth uses vegannaise)

1/2 lime, juiced
coarse salt

Method
1. Stir lime juice into the mayo.
2. Season with salt.









The sign of any good party...everyone passed out on the couch before 9 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment