Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Martha Stewart's Fudgy Brownie Cake

     I happened to receive a Martha Stewart Living Magazine in the mail the day before my Dad's birthday celebration.  I don't know why I have been getting this magazine...I never ordered it or anything.  I found the recipe for my Dad's birthday cake while flipping through the pages.  The actual cake didn't look like much when it came out of the oven.  I was actually worried waiting for my family to take their first bites.  I was nervous I had done something wrong.  The cake looked very thin and kind of dry.  It was definitely not dry...it was delicious!  The bittersweet chocolate made it very rich.  I recommend vanilla ice cream for a topping.

Fudgy Brownie Cake

Ingredients
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into 4 chunks
3 tbsp flour
6 oz bittersweet chocolate
3/4 cup sugar, plus 2 tbsp
1 egg yolk and 3 egg whites
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp coarse salt

Method
Preheat oven to 325 degrees
1. Grease and use flour to dust a 9 inch spring pan.
2. Melt the butter and chocolate together in a glass bowl over simmering water.  Stir often.
3. Remove the chocolate from heat and whisk in sugar.  Next whisk in the egg yolk, then the cocoa powder and salt.
4. Beat the egg whites with a mixer on medium.  Raise the speed once the egg whites are foamy.  Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar.  Beat until peaks form.
5. Fold the flour into the chocolate mixture.  Then fold in the egg whites.
6. Pour the batter into the pan.  Bake for 33 minutes or until set. 
7. Cool on a wire rack.
8. Dust with cocoa powder and serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment