Sunday, February 24, 2013

Baked Oatmeal

     Today I am 30.  It is a number that I thought would never actually come...how could I ever be that old?  Well today I don't feel old, I just feel happy.  I just got to spend a week off from work with Wrren and every day I just reflected on how happy I am to be her mom.  Being 30 did make me think of my parents though...it must be weird for them to have a 30 year old daughter.  I bet when they were at the point in their lives that I am with Wren right now, they didn't spend much time thinking about this day. 
     During my week off from work, Wren and I got to catch up with a lot of friends.  One morning we had breakfast with Erin and Hazel. Erin brought baked oatmeal, which was delicious.  I found a similar recipe on Pinterest and made it Saturday morning.  To my surprise, Arnauld was a HUGE fan.  He ate it for breakfast two days in a row and even for lunch today!

Baked Apple Oatmeal

Ingredients
2 cups old-fashion oats
1 1 /2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 apples,diced
2 cups milk (I used almond)
3 eggs
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
flax seed meal (optional)

Method
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
1. Mix the oats, flax seed meal, salt, and baking powder together.  Add the nuts and apple.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, and cinnamon.  Pour this mixture over the oats.  Stir to combine.
3. Pour the mixture into an 8x8 greased baking dish.
4. Bake for 55-65 minutes or until the top is golden. 

This tastes great on it's own or with some extra milk splashed on top!



My happy girl...




1 comment:

  1. This looks like the same recipe I used!! Glad it went over well :) Wren is just the cutest.

    ReplyDelete