Monday, September 12, 2011

Quinoa and Sweet Potatoes

     Another week of work means another quick fix for lunch.  I have been eager to use some fall ingredients even though it still feels like summer outside.  Today I had to resist the butternut squash at the store, reminding myself that it would taste better when it actually felt like fall.  My compromise was sweet potatoes.
    On a side note, my camera is still being repaired!  I am so frustrated with Nikon.  They have had my camera for well over a month.  They accused me of dropping the camera, 3 weeks after it went off warranty.  I have called them numerous times and I think I'm just too nice.  This last time I called, I tried to tell them that I was pretty disappointed with the service I was receiving, after they told me they were waiting for parts from Hong Kong or something, but I don't think they really understood the magnitude of my feelings.  Last month if you asked me what I thought about my camera, I would have told you wonder stories.  Now, not so much.  Oh well.  

Quinoa and Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
2 large sweet potatoes, diced
1/4 cup red onion, minced
3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper

Method
1. Put two cups of water and the quinoa in a medium saucepan.  Bring the water to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.  Cook the quinoa for 20 minutes.
2. While the quinoa is cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Add the sweet potato and cook for 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.  Set the sweet potatoes aside and allow them to cool down.
3. Once the sweet potatoes have cooled combine them with the quinoa and the red onion.  Whisk together the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and top the salad with the dressing.  Allow the salad to sit for at least an hour before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment