Saturday, February 26, 2011

Happy Birthday Ace!

     Last year I got one of the best belated birthday gifts, another nephew, Ace!  Yesterday Ace turned one so today we are celebrating with a small gathering of the people who love him most.  I am helping my sister out by bringing two dishes I made recently, White Bean Bruschetta and a Creamy Barley Salad with Apples.  I also volunteered to make the cake, which I have been excited (and slightly nervous) about all week.  My sister and I decided on a rocket ship cake that we saw on parenting.com.  Everyone in my family loves coconut, so I decided to make the cake coconut flavored.  This recipe from myrecipes.com was my inspiration.  I don't watch much tv, but I do find myself drawn to shows about making cake.  I love cake and you can do such creative things with them.  This was my first undertaking in making a creative cake.

Coconut Cake
I hope Ace likes his rocket cake!

I made 2 cakes, just in case.  Arnauld is visiting family on Long Island tonight so I am sending this cake to them.  For this one, I added flaked coconut to the frosting.

Ingredients
2 large eggs
1/3 cup of water
8 oz light sour cream
8 oz cream of coconut (found in the international aisle-it comes in a can)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 box of white cake mix
2 cups shredded coconut

Method
1. Beat eggs with mixer on high speed for about 2 minutes.
2. Add water, sour cream, cream of coconut, and vanilla.  Mix together.  Add cake mix and mix on low speed until combined.  Then mix for 2 more minutes on high.
3. Stir in coconut and pour batter into 9x13 pan that has been greased and coated with flour.
4. Bake on 325 for 40-45 minutes.

Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients
8oz package of cream cheese
1/2 cup margarine
3 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
16 oz powdered sugar

Method
1. Beat cream cheese and margarine with a mixer on medium speed until creamy
2. Add milk and vanilla and then gradually add sugar beating until smooth. 

Jax surprised me with a giant frog balloon on my birthday.

Ace loves to eat.  Arnauld was working hard to catch all of his crumbs.

Jax was a big help in getting all the candles on my birthday cake.

He also helped blow out all of the candles after he sang "happy dirtday". 

Ace's favorite birthday gift was the wrapping paper.



Ace also enjoyed his ice cream cake!

 The rocket cake was a success!

Happy 1st Birthday Ace!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment