Saturday, February 12, 2011

Tomato and Cabbage Soup

    My sister got soup from her favorite lunch spot, Hannah's Kitchen, last week and told me about some soup she had.  She said it had tomato, cabbage, and rice.  It sounded good to me and different than anything I have tried before.  So I googled some recipes to get some ideas.  Here is what I came up with:

Tomato and Cabbage Soup

Ingredients
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
6 cups green cabbage, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp salt
ground pepper
1 tsp basil
1 tsp thyme
1 cup water
4 large tomatoes, peeled and pureed (see information below)
1 cup brown rice, cooked

Method
 1. Heat a large pot over medium heat.  Heat olive oil and add onion, garlic, and cabbage.  Season with salt and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes.
2. Add a cup of water to the mix, cover and reduce heat to simmer.
3. Add tomatoes, rice, basil, and thyme.  Cover and continue to simmer for 10 minutes.

This recipe makes about 10 cups of soup

Preparing Tomatoes
    I read about several different methods for preparing tomatoes for a soup like this.  What I ended up doing was boiling water and then tossing the tomatoes in whole for about 2 minutes.  I then drained the water and replaced it with cold water.  I let the tomatoes sit for about 3 minutes.  I then used a peeler to peel the skin from the tomatoes.  Next I cut the tomatoes into quarters and pureed them in the food processor.  


The Taste Test
Coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment