Sunday, March 20, 2011

Cauliflower and Bean Soup

     A quick trip to the mall to return something yesterday afternoon resulted in the purchase of another new cookbook!  I love to browse the bargain aisle of bookstores for cheap cookbooks.  Yesterday's purchase was called 400 Soups and it was only $7.99.  I joke with my friends at work that I don't really even like soup despite bringing it most days for lunch.  When I was little, I actually refused to eat my grandparents' soups that they made, claiming that they gave me a headache.    It's just so easy to whip up and bring for lunch.  I don't have enough time during the week to plan lunch. 
    This recipe comes from my new book.  This book will keep me posting new soups forever...

Cauliflower and Bean Soup

Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 head of cauliflower, cut into small pieces
1 can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
4 cups of vegetable stock
1 cup of water
salt and pepper
parsley

Method
1. Heat the oil over medium heat.  Add the garlic and onion and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Add the cauliflower, half the beans, and the vegetable stock and water. 
3. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender.  Blend with the immersion blender.
4. Add the remaining beans and season with salt, pepper, and parsley. 

The Taste Test
     I was bummed making this soup today because my immersion blender refused to spin.  I'll have to have my dad take a look at it and hopefully he can do his magic.  I ended up using my food processor, which went alright but it was leaking a bit so I didn't let it blend enough.  This soup didn't come out as creamy as I had imagined.   The taste is also a bit blah...maybe not a keeper.  Hopefully the other 399 soup recipes from my new book come out a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment