Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

     To celebrate Mother's Day today, we had my Mom, Grandma, and Arnauld's Mom over for brunch.  We wanted to do something to bring everyone together for some low key quality time together and honor our mom's for always being there for us.  I was finally able to make crepes, something I've had in mind since we celebrated my Mom's birthday with breakfast for dinner back in March.    Arnauld requested biscuits since he planned to make some eggs.  It was a pretty simple spread, that grew because of course my Grandma brought over her own additions including stuffed artichokes, cantaloupe, and her now famous zucchini and eggs

Crepes
This recipe came from allrecipes.com.
I doubled this recipe and made about 14 crepes.

Ingredients
2 eggs
1 cup almond milk
2/3 cup flour
1 pinch of salt
1 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method
1. In the food processor, combine all of the ingredients and blend until smooth.
2. Let the mixture sit, in a covered container, in the fridge for at least an hour.
3. When ready to make crepes, heat a medium skillet over medium heat.  Spray with cooking spray and pour 1/4 cup of the mixture into the skillet.  Roll the mixture around until it is covering the entire bottom of the skillet.  Cook 2-5 minutes, until golden, flipping once.  Repeat with the remaining mixture.

You can fill your crepes with anything.  We had bananas, strawberries, Nutella, walnuts, and whipped cream.  Our guests were able to build their own crepes.

Biscuits
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com
I also doubled this recipe and made about 18 biscuits

Ingredients
2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
3 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup light butter
1 egg
2/3 cup almond milk

Method
Preheat oven to 450
1. Combine dry ingredients.  Chop in cold butter until the mixture is crumbly.
2. Beat together the eggs and milk.  Combine with the dry ingredients.
3. Move the mixture to a well floured surface and knead about 20 times.
4. Use a floured rolling pin to roll out the dough, until it is about 3/4 of an inch think.  Use a biscuit cutter, or an empty tin can to cut the dough into biscuits.
5.  Place the biscuits onto a greased baking sheet.  Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve warm

The Taste Test
     I have three skillets and ended up using the medium size for the crepes because the biggest one was just too big and the batter didn't cover the whole thing.  I was nervous about flipping these because they seemed so thin, but it was surprisingly easy.  You can even see my Grandma about to flip the crepe in the air in the picture below.  I made my crepe with Nutella and bananas and it was delicious.  It was fun to look around the table and see everyone experimenting with different combinations of ingredients, all looking equally tasty.  These might be fun to try as a savory dish, adding cheese and veggies.
    I was also nervous about the biscuits.  The dough was pretty sticky so I had to add a lot of flour to my rolling surface.  I was also skeptical of my makeshift biscuit cutter.  Luckily, it all seemed to work out and the biscuits were a big hit!  The original recipe called for shortening but I read some reviews that suggested butter, so that's what I tried.  I think this would be another recipe that could be doctored up a bit, maybe by adding some spices or other ingredients.


Happy Mother's Day to all you moms, especially my mom and sister!  
Love you Both!

No comments:

Post a Comment