Sunday, May 22, 2011

Pumpkin Seed Pesto

    This recipe comes from Whole Foods.  I am going to use this pesto tomorrow to put on top of some grilled salmon.  I've never heard of such a pesto, but I had all of the ingredients so I figured, why not?

Pumpkin Seed Pesto

Ingredients
1 cup pumpkin seeds, green
3 tbsp olive oil, divided
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 cup water
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, mashed
1/2 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped


Method
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1. Toss pumpkin seeds in 1 tablespoon of olive oil.  Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 10-15 minutes.  Allow to cool.
2. Combine seeds with water, lemon juice, garlic, cilantro, and remaining olive oil in the food processor.
3. Pulse the mixture until it forms a coarse paste.
4. Season with salt and pepper.

The Taste Test
    I really didn't know what to expect from this recipe but I was pleasantly surprised. I was worried that the cilantro would be really overpowering but the roasted pumpkin seeds give this mixture a really nutty flavor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment