Friday, May 20, 2011

Shrimp with Yellow Squash and Tomatoes

   This is my 100th blog post!  I have really found a lot of joy in blogging and in cooking.  It's fun to learn new things and I only hope that I can keep this up and continue to find happiness in this journey.  The best part is the conversations I have with people about my posts and the things I make.  Nothing makes my day more than someone coming up to me saying, "I tried your recipe from last night," or "I can't wait to make _____." 
     I wish my 100th post was something a little more exciting, but I am exhausted!  This recipe took about 5 minutes to prep and less than 10 to cook up. 


Shrimp with Yellow Squash and Tomatoes

Ingredients
1 medium yellow squash or zucchini
3 tsp olive oil
1 lb shrimp
1 pint of grape tomatoes, halved
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp oregano, fresh or dried

Method
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat.  Add 2 teaspoon of olive oil.  Increase the heat to medium-high and add the squash in a single layer.  Cook for about 2 minutes or until golden then flip the squash and cook the other side until golden.  Remove the squash from the skillet using a slotted spoon. 
2. Add the last teaspoon of olive oil to the skillet and add the shrimp.  Cook for about 2 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper, and oregano to the skillet.  Cook until the shrimp is thoroughly cooked and the tomatoes begin to soften.
4. Stir in garlic and add the squash back to the skillet.  Cook for about 2 minutes.

The Taste Test
     This was so simple and so tasty.  There was a lot of flavor and I just love the way that cooked tomatoes pop in your mouth.  I can't wait for my grandma's garden to start producing some squash and other fresh veggies.

1 comment: