Sunday, May 1, 2011

Rainbow Wheat Berry Salad

    This past week was a crazy busy week so one night Arnauld stopped at Whole Foods to pick up something for dinner.  He brought me home two different salads, one with eggplant and the other with wheat berries.  The wheat berry salad reminded me that I had a container of wheat berries in the pantry that I never used.  That was my inspiration for making lunch for this coming week.  A quick look on the internet helped me to find yet another blog, Macheesmo!  The salad seemed pretty easy and also had a new ingredient for me, chard.

Rainbow Wheat Berry Salad

Ingredients
1 cup wheat berries
3-4 stalks celery
1/2 red onion
1 avocado
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 bunch chard
1 lemon
1 can chick peas, rinsed and drained
salt and pepper

Method
1. Cook 1 cup of wheat berries according to package directions.
2. Dice the celery, onion, and avocado.  Place in a bowl with chick peas.
3. Zest a lemon and add zest and the juice from the lemon to the bowl.
4. Add feta cheese to bowl.
5. Chop char, removing the thick stems.  Blanch in simmering water for 30 seconds and then move to ice cold water.  Dry the chard using paper towels and then mince and add to salad.
6. Mix everything together and season with salt and pepper.

The Taste Test
This is such a colorful salad.  I love it!  I really like the texture of the wheat berries and all of the different ingredients make this a very flavorful and filling meal.  The original recipe also called for a red pepper, but since I am not a fan, I left that out.  If you try this salad, you might add that into the mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment